Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions is required in order to book my services.
- The editing and proofreading services I provide will be agreed upon in writing by myself and the Client.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me the work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- I am not registered for VAT.
- The following will be agreed in writing (email or post) before any editorial work is commenced:
(a) Whether the work will be carried out in Word, on PDF or on hard copy
(b) Whether the mark-up will be via Track Changes in Word or using BSI proof correction symbols on PDF or hard copy
(c) The time needed to carry out the editorial work, which I will advise
(d) The fee for the work – I will supply a written quotation once I have assessed the project and calculated the likely time it will take to complete
(e) A date for delivery of the work by the Client to me
(f) When the finished work will be returned to the Client, according to my advice re timescale.
- Any content created by myself as part of the copy editing/proofreading process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client without prior written permission.
- The Client and I both have the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.
Cost of the work
- I will supply a quotation for the cost of the editing/proofreading work following an assessment of the project and discussion with the Client as to specific requirements.
- The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per 1000 words OR an agreed flat rate fee for the job.
- The completed work will be delivered to the Client on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- If, however, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the course of the project, additional tasks are requested by the Client, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- I will prepare and send an invoice to the Client for the editing/proofreading work as soon as it is complete and has been returned.
- Payment of an invoice by the Client is due immediately, or at the latest within 30 days as set out in the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 – Amended and Supplemented in 2002.
Please note that, once I have received written (by post or email) confirmation from the Client that he or she wishes me to undertake the editing/proofreading of a particular project within a particular timeframe, and the Client has confirmed that he or she has read these Terms and Conditions and agrees to them, the following will apply:
- In the event that the Client cancels the booking of my services before the editing/proofreading work has commenced, giving less than one month’s notice of cancellation, the FULL FEE agreed for the work will be charged.
- In the event that the Client cancels the booking of my services before the editing/proofreading work has commenced, giving more than one month's notice but less than two months' notice of cancellation, 50% of the agreed fee will be charged.
- No payment will be due for cancellations giving more than two months’ notice.
- If the Client should postpone delivery of a project to me beyond one week from the agreed delivery date, 50% of the agreed fee for the work will be charged at time of postponement. The remaining 50% will become due on completion of the editing/proofreading work, subject to numbers 4 and 5 above under ‘Cost of the work’.
- If, by reason of unforeseen and severely difficult circumstances (for example, family emergency or sickness) I am unable to commence or complete editing/proofreading work within the agreed timeframe, I will contact the Client immediately to see whether it’s possible to extend the time for completion of the project. If it isn’t, I will endeavour to find another editor/proofreader to take on the work to completion.
- If, by reason of similar unforeseen and severely difficult circumstances, the Client is forced to cancel or postpone the project, I would ask that they contact me immediately to discuss the above cancellation/postponement terms.
This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.